We had a very interesting and informative meeting with Mr. Ray Greene from the Port of Argentia.
The link to his presentation is above.
There is also a write up in Wednesday, April 18, 2018 Western Star.
Minutes for April 17th Meeting at Days Inn Stephenville are below.
- The meeting was called to order by President David Walsh at 12:05 p.m.
- A motion for the adoption of the agenda was made by Cecil Ryan and seconded by Lenny Tiller. Motion carried.
- A motion for the adoption of previous minutes was made by Shane Snook and seconded by Arch Locke. Motion carried.
- Treasurer Report was given by Treasurer Arch Locke and the motion to adopt was made by Lenny Tiller and seconded by Cecil Ryan.
- Lunch was served.
- President Dave Walsh introduced the key note speaker Mr. Ray Green from the Port of Argentia.
Mr. Greene had a very interesting an informative presentation.
A copy of his presentation will be made available on our website. (Address above)
While both towns come from a military history they are different in that Stephenville was able to incorporate much of the military base into their town as they were in close proximity and Argentia base was built a few kilometers outside of town.
He explained how they dealt with that.
There was information on working safely and insuring a clean environment.
Ray said that the American Government spent $160 million dollars to remediate the site and they still have a stake in a piece of land on the site.
He also spoke of taking care of our environment and putting things in place to help with things like coastal erosion.
He spoke of wind energy. The Port has an agreement in place with a company from Ontario to place 11 wind turbines on the property but is being held up due to lack of access to the main grid. This is the same problem that Beothuk Energy faces, the government needs to help with this.
The use of structures left by the military both above and below ground as an avenue of revenue for the town was also mentioned. He says lease not sell, once sold it’s gone, whereas if you lease you maintain control.
He spoke of partnering with different businesses to build up the Port. Making use of government grants and loans and working together to help our province thrive in today’s world and being open to new ideas and opportunities.
- Scholarship Fund Draw
The 50/50 Scholarship fund draw winning ticket was picked by Mr. Ray Greene and won by Arch Locke.
There were two door prizes provided by Mr. Greene. The first was won by Brenda Martin and the second by Arch Locke.
- A motion for adjournment was made by Debbie Brake-Patten. Meeting adjourned at 1:15 pm